Saturday, March 16, 2013

Two Towers: Gimli, Blaze, and the Stew Part 1


Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for the lovely comment, Thigocia! This is dedicated to you. ;)
Enjoy!
-Madeline


“It’s true you know,” said Gimli.  
It had been a four days since we left Edoras, and in that time, Eowyn and I had worked hard to keep Gimli in the saddle.  Blaze was a docile horse, but he was skittish of Gimli just as Gimli was frightened of horses.  But, we had made good progress.  He could at least sit in the saddle without rolling off, and we were now teaching him how to lead the horse.  Eowyn and I still walked alongside him, but Gimli now seemed more confident in the saddle, even though he was taking an unbearably long time to learn.  Now, he was giving us the history of the dwarves.  It was quite interesting and boring at the same time, but it was also nice.  For once, we weren’t quite on the run, and now we could actually talk while going more or less at a leisurely pace.  
“You don’t see a lot of dwarf women.  And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance as dwarf men, they’re often mistaken for dwarf men!” said Gimli.  I burst out laughing along with Eowyn, and it didn’t help when I turned around and saw Aragorn, who was riding behind us.  “It’s because of the beards,” he mouthed, making a beard with his hands.
“Sh!” I said with a chuckle.
“This in turn,” continued Gimli, “has given rise to the belief, that are no dwarf women!”  Eowyn grinned.  

The three of us all burst out laughing again.  Gimli’s deep voice, funny face expressions, and the story itself was fun enough, not to mention doing it with my new friend.  “And that dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!”  Here Gimli threw up his hands in the air to express the story, and poor Blaze spooked.  With a whinny, he shot out from under Gimli and Eowyn and I cried out.  Gimli fell off about halfway, while Blaze tossed his head and ran a few more meters.
“Oh no!” I cried with a laugh.  I let Shadow’s reins drape, and chased after Blaze, soothing the frightened gelding down, while Eowyn helped Gimli up.  As I led Blaze back, Gimli was explaining how falling off the horse was purely deliberate to the worried onlookers.  Yeah right.  
“Now where’s my axe?” Gimli wondered.
Suddenly, I slipped.  With a ‘oof’ I had slid on the blade of his axe and landed on the ground hard on my bottom, while Blaze whinnied again and tossed his head.  “Ow!” I moaned out of my laughter, while Gimli and Eowyn broke into fits of giggles.  “I think I found it,” I said weakly, standing up with the help of Eowyn and handing the heavy battle-ax to Gimli, vaguely thinking I was lucky it didn’t cut me.
I smiled and looked back at Theoden and Aragorn.  Aragorn’s smile had faded, and he was looking at fair Eowyn as a breeze tugged at her golden hair.  I looked away before he noticed me.  
“Oh, when are we going to stop?” I moaned.  Every evening at about this time, the headmasters would blow their horns and we would stop.  We were now surrounded by some lakes, and I was looking forward to some good fried fish for dinner.
As if on cue, the riders blew their horns.  “Now I guess!” said Eowyn with a chuckle.  I smiled at her, and then went over to Shadowmane, he was still strolling along, Rue timidly on his back.  “What’s going on now?” she asked.
“We’re stopping for the night.  Do you want to go fishing?” I asked, helping her off.  Rue’s eyes brightened.   
“Yes!”
“All right.  Go fetch your brother and found some long sticks for poles.  And hurry up at it!” I said playfully, watching Rue run away.
“How old are you Laurana?” said a voice.  I looked up and saw Theoden on his horse Snowmane.  Snowmane was a handsome white horse, but no where as magnificent as Shadowmane or Shadowfax.  I somewhere recalled that Shadowfax belonged to Rohan until he ran away to Gandalf, but I didn’t think about that now.  “Um…” I said.  It had been a while since I last thought about it.  “Around eighteen winters.”
Theoden nodded.  “And you are un-married?”
“Yes…” I said slowly.
“Umph,” said Theoden.  “You have a way with children.  You should settle down soon,” and without another word he galloped away, leaving me with an angry look in my eyes and an open mouth.
I groaned and stomped my foot, and roughly grabbed Shadow’s reins.

No comments:

Post a Comment